asdf

asdf

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Rave of Thrones!

So this last Friday I had my first experience of a live techno show. (I have no idea what the proper terminology for this genre of music is so please don't be offended if I don't use the right words, that is not my intent)
 

With this being my first live DJ experience I had no idea what to expect. Also, hearing about what kind of venue The Cabooze was (apparently not the most high class destination for Minneapolis socialites), I was even more hesitant to try and predict what kind of adventure this would be. We ended up getting to Minneapolis at about 7pm on Friday night so we decided to go out to eat at a place called Sober Fish. Adding to the theme of "firsts", I tried pad thai for the first time and it was AMAZING! I couldn't finish it all before the show, but certainly enjoyed it after we got back to Caroline's :)

After eating, we headed over to the venue a little after 9pm, shortly after the doors opened. The show was scheduled to start at 10pm so my husband, Chris, was anxious to get there ASAP to ensure we would get the best spot possible. When we walked in, it was pretty empty and the people that were there were an interesting mix. There were some "normal" looking people (people I would compare to looking like myself), some dressed up in Game of Thrones costumes, and even a guy by himself in a shirt saying "Sorry Ladies, I'm in the Night's Watch" that we decided to name "Jeffrey". There was also a guy in an orange, too tight silk shirt, ill-fitting green pants, and a sweat headband we decided to name "Ryan".

There were raised seating areas on both sides of the main floor area that were all full, but there was a balcony area that was completely empty so I assumed this was some kind of VIP area. My friend Caroline and I checked our coats, we all got some drinks (me with my energy drink) and proceeded to find a "spot". Chris's friend, Matt, and I walked over towards the balcony and made the brave walk up the stairs with me assuming we would get yelled at, tasered, and ultimately thrown out of the club. Of course none of those things happened, it was not a VIP area and we found a sweet spot sitting up by the railing with a view of stage left.

(left to right- Matt, Me, Caroline)

The sparsely populated club eventually became packed and the excitement exponentially grew awaiting the appearance of our beloved Hodor. When he came out everybody went nuts! He was casually dressed in jeans and  black shirt and had a sweet grey/white beard to boot. He said a few words that I don't remember, paused, said "Hodor" and then got on with his set.

Caroline and I then proceeded to dance like no one was watching. Those who were watching probably thought we were experiencing the effects of a toxic mix of acid & ecstacy, but we were just doing what we do. From what Chris and Matt said (our techno experts), Kristian was an excellent DJ- but all I know is that I danced almost the entire show, screamed out "Hodor" repeatedly, and sweat like a steam engine worker in the Amazon so I think he did an excellent job as well.

We ended the night watching Adventure Time and Silicon Valley at Caroline and her man Jesse's beautiful home, eating pizza (and my leftover pad thai), and Chris passing out on the couch. The next day we had brunch, went outlet mall shopping (where I got a sweet new Fossil purse--eehhhrrmegerrd!) and Chris and I headed home around 5pm.

I got to hang out with my buddy Caroline, have fun at a DJ show, eat good food, and go shopping. It was pretty much the best weekend ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment